Mon - Fri 9AM - 7PM
Sat - Sun 9AM - 5PM
On Call 24/7


Veterans Aid and Attendance Program - How To Apply

Jul 20, 2017


How to Apply for Aid and Attendance

The application process for the Aid and Attendance pension benefit involves 3 basic steps:

·      Gathering documents

·      Completing the necessary VA forms

·      Mailing the completed application

Eligibility for Aid and Attendance Pension


·      Any wartime veteran with 90 days of active duty, 1 day beginning or ending during a period of war. 

·      surviving spouse (marriage must have ended due to death of veteran) of a wartime veteran

  • Assistance of another person to perform daily tasks, such as eating, dressing, undressing, taking care of the needs of nature, etc. Blind individuals, patients in a nursing home for mental or physical incapacity, or residents in an assisted living facility also qualify
  • This application will require a medical evaluation from a physician, current medical issues, net worth limitations, and net income, along with out-of-pocket medical expenses
  • An applicant must have on average less than $80,000 in assets, excluding their home and vehicles

Necessary Documents

  • Discharge/Separation Papers (DD-214). If you need to request military records, you can either fill out Standard Form 180 or, you can visit the National Archives website for further instructions on how to request military records.
  • Copy of Marriage Certificate and all marital information (unless applying for veteran only)
  • Copy of the Death Certificate (surviving spouses only).
  • Copy of current Social Security award letter (the letter that Social Security sends at the beginning of the year stating what your monthly amount will be for the following year).
  • Net worth information, including bank accounts, CDs, trusts, stocks, bonds, annuities, etc.
  • Proof of all income from pensions, retirement, interest income from investments, annuities, etc.
  • Physician statement that includes current diagnosis, medical status, prognosis, name and address, ability to care for self, ability to travel unattended, etc.
  • Nursing Home Status Statement. (If veteran and/or spouse is in nursing home or assisted living facility) and Statement of Occupancy from the facility (ask the facility for this document).
  • Proof of insurance premiums, medications, medical bills or any other medical expenses that are not reimbursed by insurance, Medicare, or Medicaid.
  • List of all doctors and hospitals visited in the last year. Here is a list of possible medical expenses. Here is a medical expense report (VA Form 21P-8416).
  • Banking information for direct deposit of A&A monthly payments (include a voided check).
  • If you are a court-appointed guardian of the veteran or surviving spouse, a certified copy of the court order of the appointment is required.
  • Employment history (does not apply if applicant is over 65).

Complete VA Form for Filing

·      Once you have this information compiled, you will need to obtain and complete VA Form 21-527EZ and/or VA Form 21-534EZ for Special Improved benefits with Aid & Attendance. 

Mail the Application

·      In mailing your application, we highly recommend that you send your completed application via Certified Mail "Return Receipt" to help avoid the potential of the VA stating that the application was not received. Be certain to keep a copy of the entire application for your own records as well as any other correspondence to and from the VA.


o   Department of Veterans Affairs
Claims Intake Center
Attention: Philadelphia Pension Center
PO Box 5206
Janesville, WI 53547-5206

Recent Posts